Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Birth Day Live!

Once a year, Discovery Health airs 6 hours of live births on TV. They show C-sections, vaginal births (they don't actually show anything, thank god), multiple births, you name it. We flipped the channel on, not realizing the special was airing tonight. At first, they mentioned one of the 3 hospitals airing births was Holy Cross Hospital in Silver Spring, Maryland. Bizarre since that is the hospital both my brother and sister were born in and was less than 5 miles from my childhood home. So, I figured, might as well tune in.

Bad move. The first birth they showed was a c-section. Man, oh man! I thought they showed a lot on those prerecorded pregnancy shows, but this was something totally different. The opening did not look big enough, the skin no longer looked like it was human, the baby's head did not look like it would come out. And, the blood. Oh, sweet lord, the blood! Not regular blood either, but viscous dark red blood. It was brutal. I will never mock a pregnant woman ever again for anything related to the birthing experience. And when the kid was born, I got teary. I could picture us there in September.

So, now, I have banished myself to the computer room to post this blog and to watch World Baseball Classic games. Anything not to watch those horrible c-sections. I will have to face it when our child is born, but until then why should I suffer by watching all the pain now? No, thank you!

3 comments:

slacker said...

Wany would watch birth stories and Discovery Health channel for hours ... for days ... until Ellie was born. It's good to have second TV.

Go KOREA!!!!

QueenWanydala said...

you think watching a C-Section was bad? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

Go to www.babycenter.com/videos/
Then search for "The stages of labor" under Labor and Childbirth heading. The video is 7minutes and 35 seconds long. It's graphic. Enjoy!

QueenWanydala said...

LOL! Will I have to hold your hand in the delivery room?