Sunday, February 12, 2006

Nausea & My Grandmother (Not Mutually Exclusive)

For Christmas, one of the gifts my family gave Taylor was a collection of all the Maidy family recipes in a nice book for us to keep and pass on to our kids, not knowing we have one on the way. Taylor's nausea has been getting worse and worse the last week, so I wanted to look for a soup recipe to make for her. My grandmother always made the best beef & barley soup. I used to always look forward to when she made it. But, the recipe was not in the book. So, I calld my grandmother down in Florida to ask about it.

I started off by asking how the family was and no one was home but her. She struggled to turn off the answering machine, so we had to talk over it for the first few minutes. I asked her why the recipe was not included in the book because I wanted to make it for Taylor since she was not feeling well.

"Is she pregnant?" First three words that shot out of her mouth. Not even a hesitation. I shook my head in shock. Not because I thought she had figured it out, but because she always asks the worst case scenario first. One time, I said a friend of someone I know was very sick (bronchitis) and my grandmother's first question was "is it cancer?" Oh, Mom-Moms.

I didn't lie to her, I only said, "I said Taylor is feeling sick, that is all." She then told me a shocker: the soup was from a packet of Manischewitz available at any supermarket. Great, there goes a childhood memory.

In the end, I got her recipe and will make it soon. Taylor is feeling horrible right now. The nausea is really reaching full speed and she hates it. She is bored, but doesn't want to do anything because she feels so sick. She keeps saying that she didn't know it would be like this. The most I can do is scratch her back and tell her it is going to be okay.

1 comment:

EJ said...

I hope that once you make it she isn't sick enough to eat it. Poor thing! Just hang in there only 3 more week until you're at 2nd trimester!