Thursday, July 06, 2006

Foot Fun

Just back from my ultrasound appointment at the doctor's office.

The U/S tech I got this time was named Sharon or Sheryl (not sure - wasn't listening). She was adequately cordial, but not as fun or chatty as Marianne, our last U/S technician.

Sharon (let's just call her that) had the monitor facing only her while she took measurements of Jack's head, tummy, legs and arms. Marianne on the other hand, had the monitor facing us the whole time, making sure we were able to see as she did her scanning.

Sharon squeezed out very cold gel on my stomach without so much as a warning! Chilly! Marianne apologized for not having warmed up the gel before she put the gel on my stomach.

Sharon didn't talk as much. Marianne told us about the house she and her husband were in the middle of selling (even gave us a card with a picture of the house in case we knew someone who'd be interested), chimed in about how she had a Jack in her family when we told her what the baby's name was going to be, how many kids she had and how college was running them dry of funds...small talk, chit-chat.

Marianne was good about constantly pointing out what she was looking at as far as Jack was concerned, and how much he weighed. I had to ask Sharon at the end how much Jack weighed.

Anyhoo - here are Jack's stats:
Heart rate = 138 bpm
General growth = on target, normal
Weight = 2lbs. 13oz. (he gained a whole pound since the last U/S)
Position = breech, on my left side, face towards my spine
Activity level = very active, just like last time. Sharon had to wait a bit for Jack to face/turn the right way so she could measure his head. I don't think Jack liked Sharon.

Excitement of the day: Towards the end, Sharon turned the monitor towards me and pointed out the usual baby parts - head, back, legs, feet...he's folded or doubled over now as it's getting crammed inside my tummy....but where were the hands? Sharon scanned back and forth, but couldn't find them.

Then, just as she began to say, "oh, I think that's an arm ri...." Jack's arm reaches out and he grabs his foot. His hand lingers there for a while playing with his toes! It was amazing! Jack always manages to give us something good during U/S. Sharon and I were both impressed (it was the only time Sharon showed any emotion/inflection in her voice).

No comments: