Monday, June 26, 2006

Invasion

It was bound to happen....I caught a cold...

I'd been so careful about the bathroom at work, well, public bathrooms in general (I've got the art of not touching bathroom door handles to get in and out), careful not to touch the handle on the microwave oven at work, co-workers' desk items (such as their computer mouse, keyboards and telephones), even my own husband if he was sick! So how in the world could this happen?

I'd heard and witnessed the horror of pregnant women who caught colds and couldn't take anything to relieve their symptoms. I've read in the numerous pregnancy books I have that cold medicines don't help cure you anyway, that they only lessen the symptoms, and so to stay away from them (also my nurse told me not to take the usual meds).

I tell you what...I could live with less cold symptoms, I don't care if it only gives the illusion of being cured of a cold. I would have slept better last night had my nose/airway not been blocked like the Kennedy during rush hour AND construction. However, during the day, my nose leaked like there was no tomorrow. Where did all that stuff come from if my nasal airway was blocked?! Jeesh!

I sound like a frog too...this is because I've been forced to breathe through my mouth, so my throat has become raw, and irritated. I sound like an 88 year old smoker trying to sing 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow'. God bless it.

Then my mother called about something unrelated to my cold. As soon as she heard my voice, she freaked out...."what are you taking for your cold? You should call your doctor for cold medicine just for pregnant people! You sound awful!"

Explaining to her that I cannot take part in the usual pill party for a cold/sickness didn't register with her at all....not even when I explained to her that in my condition, taking the usual medications would present more risk of harm to Jack...twice! Finally, silence fell over the phone...then softly her voice came again over the phone..."are you not supposed to take cold medicine when you're pregnant?" Bingo!

I hope to be able to sleep better tonight and not wake up coughing due to a dry throat.

No comments: