Thursday, June 08, 2006

Have you seen me?

I need beauty back....like pedicures, hair color, hair cut, facials, make-up....oh how I miss them!

For the past 5 months, my hair has been bothering me. You see, before Jack, before crib obessions, before concerns about breastbeeding, I used to be me....someone who took care of her hair...not only the condition of the hair, but the color as well.

Right around the time I found out I was pregnant with Jack was when I should have been scheduled for another round of highlights. But being the 1st trimester, and having been so sick and out of sorts, I could have cared less about my hair color or the roots that were beginning to show and made me look like I was wearing some sort of messed up hair weave.

By the time 2nd trimester started, I'd gotten used to my black roots next to my honey colored highlights. I figured if I had gone that long without a touch up, it would not kill me to grow out the highlights altogether...I mean, hair does grow faster during pregnancy, does it not? It wouldn't takke that long to grow out the highlights, right? WRONG. I can't stand my roots!

My face has been bothering me too. Another thing that happened with pregnancy...I stopped wearing make-up. Again, during the 1st trimester I could have cared less. I was more interested in getting over the darn phase. Other than powder, I wear no eye shadow, no eye liner, no mascara, not even a scant/hint of Bonnie Bell lip gloss in Mocha.

See a pattern here? I think 1st trimesters are designed to help you let go of 'yourself' as you know it, and prepare to be a mom who's priority not only becomes the health of her child, but her comfort, even it means going over to what my sister calls the 'dark side' - comfort and ease at all costs.

Well, for my birthday, Alex gave me a reason/opportunity to feel a bit more like me again. He gave me a gift certificate to a salon! Woo hoo! I'm going in for a massage and hair color....to feel a bit more like me again. I'm totally looking forward to caring about the way I look. Maybe the experience will make me want to wear eye shadow again....hmmm....why do I have this feeling the 3rd trimester is laughing at me and that notion of eye shadow?!

No comments: