Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Pregnancy Make-Over!

My battle with morning sickness has been one of utter despair, weight loss, and losing the ability to enjoy foods I used to love as well as any usefulness I felt I was around the house, at work, and the general public.

Nausea stopped me in my tracks, cold! I could no longer do household chores that used to make me feel good. I could no longer pump gas (the smell), I could no longer open the pantry without gagging or wretching - yes, the sight, thought and smell of food disgusted me, I could no longer take hot showers without feeling dehydrated, having to take sips of seltzer water inbetween shampoo and conditioner. I felt as useful as the brail found on ATM machines.

Here are some precautions/wisdom/changes I picked up from my experience:

Do not reheat food in microwave in plastic containers - you can taste plastic - it's true!!!

Do not let tea cool in a plastic pitcher - again, taste plastic! Use glass instead.

Do not eat canned fruit (peaches) - you can taste the can.

I read you should find those things you like and stick with them throughout the 1 trimester - it's BS. Do not eat one kind of anything for more than 4 days (like yogurt) - it will make you sick

Carry around a Nausea Emergency Bag - Tums, sour candy, barf bag, small towel, saltines (although they didn't work for me), B6 tablets, and any and all anti-nausea suggestions/perscriptions your doctor's office suggest.

Do not lick stamps under ANY circumstances!

Always have your husband inspect the cats before you hug/kiss them for traces of 'the box' smell.

Seltzer water only stays 'seltzery' for 5 minutes after opening - 3 if left sitting on the bathroom counter while showering.

2 comments:

Alex Maidy said...

The horror.....The horror....

EJ said...

It's amazing how each pregnancy can be so different. I feel for your pain and pray for it to get better!!!