Sunday, August 09, 2009

Florida Imports

Last year the Chicago Maidy's obtained a 'gently' used, but albeit fully functioning 1989 model Gomoh XLS from Florida. Though a certain amount of 'breaking in' or 'getting used to' was required (mostly on my part b/c I am lame do not adjust well or quickly to change), at present day, am more than happy with the results. Also, Gomoh seems to prefer the Chicago seasonal weather as well as enjoy the smaller fellow occupants of the Chicago Maidy residence despite it's 'cozy' habitat.

The Chicago Maidy's, have on occasion, "rented" other models from South Florida such as Grannie, Pop-pop, and Mom-Mom with much satisfaction and was always sad to return these models after the determined rental time.

The other week, I was rattling off a list of places and things we'd like to do before the end of Summer - specifically, things we wanted to do for/with the little Maidys. One of these such items on the list was a trip to the zoo. To this, the older little Maidy chimed in quickly with a "no, Mommy, I go to zoo with Pop-pop."

Jack has a very specific memory tied to his grandfather and a trip to the zoo we took almost 3 months ago while visiting in Florida.

I'm not sure if this was strategic on his part, but we called Pop-pop that very instant to:
a)relay how much Jack would like another trip to the zoo with his grandfather b)display his ability to recall a specific memory from what equates in child years as a life time ago
c)to tug at the heart strings of the Florida Maidys to make the move back to Chicago so that these trips could be made possible any old time instead of a couple of times a year (as from the Three Stooges - nyack, nyack, nyack, nyack)!

On a more sober note, the whole event prompted a bit of melancholy in me.
The whole experience made me wish my dad was around to enjoy the boys too - made me wish my dad were around to join the trips to the zoo, or the casual walks around the block or breaks to the playground. I miss him.

No comments: