Sunday, December 23, 2007

The Shit-Storm

Sorry for the vulgar post title, but that is the only way to describe today.

I went to give Jack is bath and noticed there was a clog in the tub. Jack was in his baby tub, but I wanted to make sure the drain was working. I reached my finger in to see if it was hair or something, but there was nothing in there. But, little particles of what looked like rust were floating around.

Then, I noticed water at the base of the toilet. I tried flushing it, and it just filled the bowl, and more particles came shooting out of the shower drain. Taylor grabbed Jack and I did damage control.

I ran to Jewel, grabbed some drain cleaner, and when that had no effect, called Roto Rooter.

6 hours and 500 bucks later, the tub and toilet work. The plumber had to remove the toilet and snake the drain. Apparently, our pipe beneath the toilet was lined with lead, and it began to break off which left heavy metal blockages in the pipe. He got as much as he could, but he couldn't tell how many pieces, if any, could be further down the line.

Needless to say, what a nice way to start Christmas week.

No comments: